We are so used to thinking our cats are adorable that we forget they’re actually descendants of big cats like lions and tigers, who are in fact very scary.
They are natural-born hunters and they have the body, muscle and other equipment just like their wild cousins.
And, one of the most lethal ‘weapons in your kitty’s hunting arsenal is their claws – or as some call them their ‘murder mittens’.
What are Murder Mittens?
Murder Mittens is the name that people give to a cat’s paw when the claws are showing. The point being that a cat with their claws extended looks like it may be about to attack you with those serious weapons. Of course, your cat isn’t going to do that and is only likely to ‘kill’ you with kindness.
That said, those claws are razor sharp and will cause a puncture wound when kitty feels like it and it’ll draw a little blood. Even though, almost all the time, your cat won’t give you a swipe with their claws out, you know they can…
Why do cats do Murder Mittens?
Feline behaviorists think that your cat shows off and extends their claws, displaying their murder mittens, just to show you that they can be fierce and attack you, if they want.
It’s a natural instinct and a cat’s claws are a great defensive or offensive weapon. Some also believe that cats reveal their claws just as a reflex when stretching (although they can, of course, control it) and also just to give that open and retraction of their claws a tiny cute workout.
Cats Need Their Claws
Your cat needs their claws for protection, hunting, exercise and instinctual behavior. They obviously help in hunting but also in climbing and marking behavior.
Some misinformed people think that it’s okay to declaw a cat, as the people at Cats Protection explain:
“Declawing your cat isn’t the way to go. In fact, declawing was outlawed in the UK by the Animal Welfare Act of 2006. Cat declawing is also illegal in many other European countries, as well as Brazil, Israel, Australia, and New Zealand.”
The reason people declaw cats is to stop them from scratching the furniture, but what they don’t realise is that this unethical act is a form of mutilation and the cat will never be the same again.
They don’t seem to realise that cats can be trained to leave the furniture alone and even doing the simplest thing, like creating a scratch post for them, would make a difference.
I think a few scratches on your furniture is a small price to pay to ensure that your kitty lives a happy and healthy life.
Let’s see those Murder Mittens
On Reddit at the moment there is a page called “Murder Mittens” where people post photos of the kitties showing off their scary but cute claws.
Scroll down to see some shockingly adorable snaps of scarily cute cats and let us know in the comments which one is your favorite.
1. Lil’ Murderer
2. Illegally tiny and adorable murder mittens
3. “Don’t mess with me!”
4. My favourite baby photo
5. Very Smol
6. When the murder mittens aren’t enough!
7. Murder mittens and a tooth for good measure
8. Press on the beans and you get the means
9. Teeniest murder mittens
11. Baby Bella’s lunchtime. One months old and rescued from the trash. Direct descendant from Toothless!
13. Very unique
14. Bebe Precioso!!
15. Like a godly hand
16. Someone’s ready for dinner
17. Stretching the mittens
18. Smol floofy murder mitts
20. As I was leaving work my co-workers told me I had a cat in my truck’s engine bay. Meet Fjord The Mighty Huntress
21. Yoshi, the panther
22. Fear me hoomans
23. I thought she looked familiar…
24. This one is mine!
25. I’m scary!
26. RIP Graybeard. He let me spoil him for 12 years – it was a privilege
27. Day old murder mittens!
28. Izzy just discovered that she’s a cat
29. Illegally smol
30. Mr Bob showing off his weaponry while having a stretch!
31. Epic mitts
32. I couldn’t help myself, I had to poke the beans
33. Holding pause with a side of claws
34. He sees you when you’re sleeping he knows when you’re awake…
35. Testing out my claws
36. Meet Uno. He’s basically a Bond villain
37. Discovering her deadly mittens
38. Gizmo’s 18 year old grandpa nap mittens
40. Good morning murder mittens
41. Presenting a solo murder mitten
42. The smallest murder feets
43. Don’t mess with the mother
44. Nap time with mittens
45. Give me a hug, I promise it won’t hurt!
46. I guess we’re not cuddling
47. Mittens and tufts!
48. Ready to strike
49. Hungry murder!
50. I’m gonna get ya!
More from We Love Cats and Kittens:
If you liked this, then please share our story:
And while you're at it, leave a comment and tell us what you thought!