Senior cats might be slowing down and sleeping for most of the day, they might be getting grey and old, but there is one thing that’s for sure, they are still full of love. If you have an older kitty in your family then you know exactly what I’m talking about.
“Senior cats certainly require special accommodations. They need more frequent vet visits to manage chronic illness for one thing. Cats are silent sufferers and mask their illness so routine veterinary care is paramount,” cat behaviorist Ingrid Johnson told Bored Panda.
As they get older, our kitties need easy access to food, water, and their litter. They also need soft, warm bedding.
Ingrid explains: “This means ensuring that you have resources placed in all of the areas where your senior citizen spends time. The last thing you want to do is have a litter box in the basement of a three-story home knowing your cat spends most of their time on the top floor in the bedroom.”
If you think about it, you wouldn’t want to walk down two flights of stairs to go to the bathroom when you’re 90, would you? No, of course not! Well neither does your kitty. The best thing you can do in their senior years is to make life as easy and comfortable as possible.
Scroll down to see some heartwarming, wholesome pictures of senior cats that you’ll want to give a virtual hug to right through your screen.
1. My 100 Year Old Grandpa And His 17 Year Old Cat
2. Walked Into The Shelter And Asked Which Cat Had Been There The Longest… Came Home With A Deaf, Toothless Senior Lovebug. Meet Cali!
3. We Adopted An 11-Year Old Cat From A Chicago Shelter. He And My 13-Yo Daughter Fell In Love. This Is Them After She Got Back From A Week At Camp
4. My Grampie And His 20-Year-Old Cat/Sidekick Elvis. As My Grampie Says, “We’re Just Two Old Men Hanging Out”. This Picture Makes Me Happy And Sad All At Once
5. My 1.5yr Old Son And 14yr Old Cat Had A Moment This Morning
6. 2 Years Ago Today I Walked Into A Petsmart And Met A Cat Named Sonny Who No One Would Adopt Because He Was 13 Years Old, Covered In Fleas, Underweight, And Had A Mouth Full Of Rotten Teeth That Had To Be Removed. He Came Home With Me That Night And It Was The Best Decision I’ve Ever Made
7. My Beautiful 18-Year-Old Girl Mia With The Eyes Of Sauron
8. I Hear You Guys Like Old Cats. This Is Thomas. He’s 27
9. My Little Guy Is 20 Years Old And Still As Cute As Ever
10. Tiger Is 31 Years Old, And Is Still A Prime Example Of The Ever Loving Box And Cat Relationship
11. My Grandpa Passed Away On Thanksgiving And No One Would Take His 18 Year Old Cat… So We Did. Welcome Home, Lovey!
12. Me And My Old Bud Taking In Some Sun
13. When Your Cat Is Pushing 20 Years Old, But Can Still Pull Off That Innocent Baby Look
14. This Guy Has Been By My Side For Twenty Years Today. He Helped Me Through Some Rough Times
15. Our 15-Year-Old Blind Cat Snuggling Our Daughter’s Toy Because It Smells Like Her
16. A Few Weeks Ago I Adopted A 12 Year Old Cat. She Buries Her Face In My Hand When She Wants More Love
17. My 19 Year Old Cat Just Found Out He Loves The Smell Of Lavender
18. I Brought Home A Stray Cat When I Was 17 Years Old. I’m 36 Now. Every Time I Go To My Parents House, I Check To Make Sure He Is Still There And Give Him Some Extra Love Before I Leave. Meet Scooter